Ideas needed to fix a silty/sandy track

Leman208

My local racing group got permission to dig up and replace our racing surface at the "track" we race at. The surface was basically what was left after removing the grass. We got a local company to donate material for the track and we were told it was going to be mostly clay. Unfortunately, its more like 90% silt and sand and 10% some kind of weird blue clay. (I know, shame on us for not looking at the material before taking delivery of it). Does anyone have any experience or suggestion on what i can mix in to this type of material to help it bind together better? The ruts and bumps we create during a race become unmanageable. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

If you can get a stiff, heavy clay brought in, you can spread thinly over the now existing surface and then run a disc over it to mix it together. If you can only find a decent clay content fill material then just bridge over what is now existing

My local racing group got permission to dig up and replace our racing surface at the "track" we race at. The surface was basically what was left after removing the grass. We got a local company to donate material for the track and we were told it was going to be mostly clay. Unfortunately, its more like 90% silt and sand and 10% some kind of weird blue clay. (I know, shame on us for not looking at the material before taking delivery of it). Does anyone have any experience or suggestion on what i can mix in to this type of material to help it bind together better? The ruts and bumps we create during a race become unmanageable. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Is the material that stays softer now a more consistent depth both ends of the track ? Also is the % age of the Blue Clay somewhat consistent amount through out the mix ?

Is the material that stays softer now a more consistent depth both ends of the track ? Also is the % age of the Blue Clay somewhat consistent amount through out the mix ?
The blue clay isn't consistent and my 10% estimate is probably on the generous side... It was in softball sized clumps throughout the material and got broken up when we spread it out.
The new material is at a consistent depth of 6-8" deep. We removed material and then brought this material in to replace it

If you can get a stiff, heavy clay brought in, you can spread thinly over the now existing surface and then run a disc over it to mix it together. If you can only find a decent clay content fill material then just bridge over what is now existing
This may be what we need to end up doing if nothing else works. We might need to have a couple pallets of baseball mound clay shipped in and mix that in. The track is in Eastern Connecticut and the really good heavy clay is hard to come by around here locally

First I would grade it pretty smooth , then disc the crap out of it top to bottom , bottom to top both directions numerous times, with a heavy disc ( " NOT A TOY " ) cutting min of 4 " Deep, getting all those softball size and bigger lumps broke up , while disc open add heavy coat of LIME , DISC again to mix lime in , good mist of water , add another good coat of lime and disc again , spread Calcium Chloride Flakes evenly so it looks like a light dusting of snow , mix the Calcium in by Grading up across track, spray one coat of water good mist don't soak , blade it back down across the track , give it a good heavier watering again don't soak it make mud , let it set for 2 to 3 days of good sunshine , that should tighten it up , then water and run it in good with vehicles let set another day , see what ya got WARNING whatever you do DONT disc it open and get caught in a bunch of Rain while disc open still fluff, once you Blade it a good shower won't hurt ya .
Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it sound like mixing in a good amount of lime is the direction i should go to start.

Back