Electric motor on a kart as a race class ?

https://www.k1speed.com/

No need to reinvent the wheel!

This already exists, is fairly reliable, and doesn't seem to have too technical a setup, other than won't let me trail brake like I want.

The sound isn't very satisfying though.
I've taken my son to an indoor track in Pittsburgh. Fun for sure. The pro kart can top out at 40mph. He had to run a junior kart though since he wasn't big enough even though he races weekly. Definitely fun wintertime event. https://gofullthrottle.com/pittsburgh/karting

Lord have mercy.... I just saw a video of people getting razor dirtbikes to do 60 mph and figured it would be an interesting thought. Never could have dreamed it would devolve into this lol

Dirtier than gasoline? How do you recycle used gasoline? That's a question for anyone.

Xxx, probably about as reliable as a model T huh? Good thing we are in the beginning stages of the transition.

Keep riding your horse and buggy, Electric is here to stay, finally.
I recycle dirty fuel every month. most of the time a thousand gallons. Oil the same way. One phone call and the next day its gone, I also purchase about a thousand batteries a month. Recycle those also. I would take a horse and buggy anytime over being forced to do what others have no idea about the truth of batteries.

All wealth comes from the ground.

Stop getting it from the ground and the supply of wealth where ever it goes and to whom ever it goes is reduced.

The economy is the Door Man opening the door for you at a fine hotel with his hand out.
Greasing his palm is what makes our economy and the worlds economy run.
Stop it and everything slows and stops when we run out of door men.

All big business and 'they' need or want is a cut off of the transfer of wealth, any wealth.
The purpose of politics is to enhance, increase and control the transfer of wealth.

I think we can all agree, electric vehicles are coming whether we like them or not. Folks still own, ride, enjoy, and race horses. That's cool. In my view, and I'm certainly no expert, electric cars need a big jump in tech. Either battery and/or the motors themselves. In the same way light bulbs went, from the old glowing hot wire to LEBs. There's just no comparison efficiency wise. And that jump will happen eventually.
Ya, I get it. I really enjoy an NHRA drag race! If you like the smell and sound of internal combustion engines, that's hard to beat.
I'm keeping a very open mind about it. When it makes sense for me to get an electric daily driver, I'll get one. When electric karts become a real thing, I'll certainly look into it. I've raced karts since 1963, so I've seen them go from chain saw and washing machine motors to twin cylinder 250 Superkarts making 90+ HP at more than 140 MPH at Daytona.
I'll be 76 in a couple weeks, and I've learned to never say never. Things change. Maybe I'm just curious about almost anything, rather than be afraid of change. I'm just keeping a real open mind about "everything". I just don't have enough time left on this planet to be closed minded about anything.
Have a great day folks,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

I disagree.
They will only get here and take over when we 'like' them.
WE will not be forced to race them or race anything, it's a personal choice thing.
I don't ever see them offering an ev to suit my needs, my wife maybe, me now way.
Over 300 miles a day hauling over #1000 in tools and supplies while pulling a trailer hauling a skid steer or mini excavator
Too many people base ev off their experience and not everyone, buy yet they call us the closed minded ones.

I don't ever see them offering an ev to suit my needs, my wife maybe, me now way.
Over 300 miles a day hauling over #1000 in tools and supplies while pulling a trailer hauling a skid steer or mini excavator
Too many people base ev off their experience and not everyone, buy yet they call us the closed minded ones.
This technology is already available (google Tesla semi). It has a range of 300 - 500 miles on a single charge and can haul 45,000 lbs of cargo weight (well over the weight you mentioned). These vehicles are still in the infancy stage of development, so one can only imagine where they will be 5 years from now. Technological change was extremely slow in the past – the technologies that our ancestors got used to in their childhood were still central to their lives in their old age. In stark contrast to those days, we live in a time of extraordinarily fast technological change. For recent generations, it was common for technologies that were unimaginable in their youth to become common later in life.
Don't get me wrong, I love gas engines as much as the next guy, but to ignore the progression of motorsports towards all electric, could only be seen as close minded.

The last September when I went to an enduro race, there was a dude with a 35hp electric kart. It wouldnt touch a 125 shifter.

https://electroandcompany.com/products/extreme-11-000w-razor-kit
and not worried about dirt. modern electric engines are sealed and/or water cooled.

I think the hot ticket would be a 76V package with lightweight battery that would last for 50 laps (so, for 12 sec. laptimes, that's only 10 minutes of all out speed). Hot swap a battery for the next heat and charge the 1st one for the feature, etc.

Add in the traction control that you won't be able to police, and the gas guys are toast. Or use hub drive motors for AWD. Lots of possibilities, and it's only a matter of time.

1713973603726.png

I mean...
I love my tuned Duramax. My Hybrid Avalon is awesome as a daily grocery getter. I love the sound of internal combustion engines but life is much easier not having to use a two-stroke hair dryer. Or a VTwin powering my washer and dryer. I will always keep the SBC powered blender I have regardless what the government does. But seriously electric karts are coming and are going to be just as fast and much easier to work on. But, for the automotive industry I don't see the EV taking over like it has with appliances and hair dryers. If you get a chance look up the Toyota Hydrogen Fuel cells. It's pretty amazing what they're developing.

This technology is already available (google Tesla semi). It has a range of 300 - 500 miles on a single charge and can haul 45,000 lbs of cargo weight (well over the weight you mentioned). These vehicles are still in the infancy stage of development, so one can only imagine where they will be 5 years from now. Technological change was extremely slow in the past – the technologies that our ancestors got used to in their childhood were still central to their lives in their old age. In stark contrast to those days, we live in a time of extraordinarily fast technological change. For recent generations, it was common for technologies that were unimaginable in their youth to become common later in life.
Don't get me wrong, I love gas engines as much as the next guy, but to ignore the progression of motorsports towards all electric, could only be seen as close minded.
No thanks don't need a semi, my duramax does fine, Tesla is recalling their trucks, and how long have they been out and still trash?
Racing goes electric I'll be done with racing, because you won't replace our Super latemodels with electric

No thanks don't need a semi, my duramax does fine, Tesla is recalling their trucks, and how long have they been out and still trash?
Racing goes electric I'll be done with racing, because you won't replace our Super latemodels with electric
I was not suggesting that you should drive a semi, I was simply pointing out the fact that the technology is already here and evolving at a rapid pace.

I was not suggesting that you should drive a semi, I was simply pointing out the fact that the technology is already here and evolving at a rapid pace.
how long is it between charges? Every EV I have looked up has said a maximum milage( which some of us would drive more than that in a day) and recharge time is between 12-24 hrs. Now on a "fossil" fuel vehicle it takes a maximum of 10 minutes to fill up and get on the road( that includes getting some greasy gas station food). Also when it comes to karting, if it switched to ev you will see teams with as many batteries as tires. The typical battery pack in a r/c car has max speed for about 5-10 minutes before slowing down and when you figure that the load window get smaller with each recharge you typically have about 20 batteries to choose from on a given race day( with a r/c car). Also with a r/c car those guys tend to have at least 5 motors per car. The brushes wear out quickly and getting those little motors rebuilt costs more than new. So with that being said most engine builders would be out of business within probably 2 years. So if the karting industry switches to electric many of the men we know as business leaders in the industry will be out of a job. I agree with XXX, when they make that switch I am done with karts, if not racing entirely.

I think we can all agree, electric vehicles are coming whether we like them or not. Folks still own, ride, enjoy, and race horses. That's cool. In my view, and I'm certainly no expert, electric cars need a big jump in tech. Either battery and/or the motors themselves. In the same way light bulbs went, from the old glowing hot wire to LEBs. There's just no comparison efficiency wise. And that jump will happen eventually.
Ya, I get it. I really enjoy an NHRA drag race! If you like the smell and sound of internal combustion engines, that's hard to beat.
I'm keeping a very open mind about it. When it makes sense for me to get an electric daily driver, I'll get one. When electric karts become a real thing, I'll certainly look into it. I've raced karts since 1963, so I've seen them go from chain saw and washing machine motors to twin cylinder 250 Superkarts making 90+ HP at more than 140 MPH at Daytona.
I'll be 76 in a couple weeks, and I've learned to never say never. Things change. Maybe I'm just curious about almost anything, rather than be afraid of change. I'm just keeping a real open mind about "everything". I just don't have enough time left on this planet to be closed minded about anything.
Have a great day folks,
Clark Gaynor Sr.
Well said. I didn't know this kind of open minded person existed on Bobs, or the US for that fact! We likely need more of you Clark.

Back